Aussiereviews will consider books by Australian authors for review, but due to the large numbers of books received cannot guarantee a review of every book.
Your chances of having a book reviewed are better if you follow the following procedure.
- Make sure that you are Australian. We only review books written and/or illustrated by Australians. We recognise that there are many brilliant books written by people from other countries, but prefer to focus here on Australians.
- Have your publisher contact me and offer a review copy. The review request should include details of the book. Generally, publishers will send either a press release or an update with all their new releases for the month. If the book appeals to me, I will request a review copy be posted to me. If I feel we are unlikely to review the book, I will not request a review copy.
- Be patient. Aussiereviews is a nonprofit website, run by one person (though I do use other reviewers from time to time). This means it can take several months to review a book, since I try to review books in the order I receive them. I aim to review books within two months of receipt, but this is not always possible. Emailing to ask if I received the book, or to check on a date for the review won’t make the review appear more quickly. I do my best.
- If your book does not receive a review here, and you followed steps one to three, it is possible that I did receive the book, but elected not to run a review. This may be because I felt unable to write a favourable review, but is more likely because of lack of time. At any one time I may have 100 books waiting to be reviewed and it is just not possible to review them all.
- If you email offering to send me a copy of your book, but have not followed steps one and two, I may not respond to your email. I receive many review requests which give no details of the book, and many more which come from outside Australia and indicate that the sender has not even visited this site.
Again, I prefer to receive books sent as review copies from publishers. If you are an author and would like to see your book reviewed here, please have your publisher contact me. I love reviewing Australian books and dislike setting rules which may offend. However, following the procedures above does increase your chances of being reviewed, and also lessens the likelihood that you will waste your time, my time, or your precious review copies.